½ cup applesauce
1 ½ cups fresh cranberries
½ cup unsweetened cranberry juice
½ cup unsweetened apple cider
¼ cup artificial sweetener
1 (1 inch) lemon rind strip
4 cups sliced peeled golden delicious apples
2 cups firm Anjou pears, cored and cut into ¼ inch thick wedges
3 cups vanilla low-fat ice cream
Preheat oven to 400°F
- To drain applesauce, spread onto several layers of heavy-duty paper towels. Cover with additional paper towels; let stand 5 minutes. Scrape into a mixing bowl using a rubber spatula. This drains the applesauce.
- Combine cranberries, juice, cider, sweetener, and rind in a small saucepan; bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in applesauce.
- Combine the apple and pears in an 11×17 inch-baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with the cranberry mixture. Cover and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until fruit is tender, basting occasionally with liquid from dish. Serve with ice cream.
Makes: 4 servings
4 (1-inch thick) peeled fresh pineapple slices
2 tablespoons apricot preserves – no sugar added
1 teaspoon artificial sweetener
Dash of ground cinnamon
1 cup vanilla low-fat frozen yogurt
- Place pineapple slices on a broiler pan. Brush pineapple slices with preserves; broil 6 minutes or until bubbly.
- Combine sweetener and cinnamon, and sprinkle over pineapple.
Serve warm with one scoop of vanilla low-fat frozen yogurt.
Makes 1 serving.
Frozen yogurt for breakfast—divine decadence! You could also try this extraordinary breakfast with fresh strawberries and strawberry jelly, fresh raspberries and raspberry jelly!
4 large baking apples, cored
½ cup raisins
1 orange, peeled, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons orange zest (grated orange rind)
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup water
Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place the apples in a nonstick baking pan.
- In a bowl mix the raisins, orange, cinammon and zest and fill each apple cavity with the mixture. Drizzle a little water over each apple and pour the remaining water into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the apples are tender. Serve hot or cold.
Makes 4 servings. Serving size: 1 stuffed apple
A Little Soul Food
The soul can split the sky in two and let the face of God shine through.