2 ruby red or pink grapefruit
2 cups strawberry halves
2 kiwifruit, peeled and cut into wedges
¼ cup flaked unsweetened coconut
3 tablespoons brown sugar
Peel and section oranges and grapefruit over a bowl; squeeze membranes to extract juice. Add sections to bowl; discard membranes. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and chill.
Makes 6 servings.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup artificial sweetener
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ¼ cups low-fat buttermilk
¼ cup applesauce
¼ cup dried blueberries
¼ cup dried cranberries
2 teaspoons grated orange rind
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg white, slightly beaten
Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of mixture.
- Combine buttermilk and next 6 ingredients (buttermilk through egg white) in a bowl; add to flour mixture.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups lined with paper muffin cups and sprinkle evenly with 1 tablespoon artificial sweetener. Bake for 18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove muffins and cool on wire rack.
Makes 12 servings. Serving size: 1 muffin
4 apples, cored and sliced
4 tablespoons brown sugar
8 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
8 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
4 tablespoons reduced fat margarine
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the apple in a layer in a nonstick baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl combine the sugar, oats, flour and spices. Add the margarine and mix with your fingers until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the mixture over the fruit. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
Makes 4 servings. Serving size: 1 cup