4 large baking apples, cored
½ cup raisins
1 orange, peeled, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons orange zest (grated orange rind)
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup water
Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place the apples in a nonstick baking pan.
- In a bowl mix the raisins, orange, cinammon and zest and fill each apple cavity with the mixture. Drizzle a little water over each apple and pour the remaining water into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the apples are tender. Serve hot or cold.
Makes 4 servings. Serving size: 1 stuffed apple
A Little Soul Food
The soul can split the sky in two and let the face of God shine through.
Now that fall is here, there is nothing better than hot, steaming fruit and to make it even better, I love to add a generous dollop of ice cream. Wait. That’s not all – I don’t wait for dessert, I enjoy this fall fruit taste and texture sensation for breakfast! Now you can to – go ahead and try it. Here’s the recipe
2 large baking apples, seeded and sliced
1 large orange, peeled, seeded and sliced
1 large ripe pear, seeded and sliced
¼ cup water
¼ cup maple syrup
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large nonstick skillet combine the fruit, water, syrup, vanilla and cinnamon and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Cover. Simmer for 5 minutes until frut is tender. Serve hot with ice cream or frozen yogurt.
Makes 6 servings Serving size: 1 cup
By the way you can use any combination of fruit you like!
Rise and Shine Super Snack: Whole fruit high in fiber is a perfect start to your day.
Breakfast: Breads, cereals, waffles, fruits and more for lots of complex carbs, fresh fruits, whole grains, and dairy.
Morning Super Snack: Calcium rich yogurt, cheese and more helps gives you strong bones and that slender shape you want.
Lunch: Salads, sandwiches and more—and don’t forget the soups for added nutrients and to keep you feeling full.
Afternoon Super Snack: Protein power in lean meats and dairy to keep you feeling full and satisfied until dinner.
Dinner: Food you love, fast and convenient—take advantage of all the goodies in your grocery store.
Bedtime Super Snack: Your bedtime snacks can be sweet or savory but try to keep them around 100 calories
Bonus Super Snack: Attack of the munchies snack is any 100 calorie snack you like – try nuts or yogurt or even a small square of very dark chocolate
Here’s Edita’s surprising and yummy take on ice cream. Try it.
Looking for some slender food tips? Try these from Edita Kaye
Here are some fun tips Edita Kaye has put together for portion control
Edita Kaye asks, ‘Have you ever given your fridge a make-over?’