Tag: edita kaye
Edita Kay’s fabulous heroine Cate returns with her summer adventures! Read about her journey to a healthier life full of healthier snacks here!
The warm weather is made for grilling! Because it’s too hot to cook indoors, it’s best to cook every possible meal off the grill. That doesn’t mean you have to eat hamburgers and hot dogs for the next few months. Nope, the grill is good for so much more.
Here are some of my favorite summer grilling cookbooks! Enjoy, and happy grilling!
½ cup applesauce
1 ½ cups fresh cranberries
½ cup unsweetened cranberry juice
½ cup unsweetened apple cider
¼ cup artificial sweetener
1 (1 inch) lemon rind strip
4 cups sliced peeled golden delicious apples
2 cups firm Anjou pears, cored and cut into ¼ inch thick wedges
3 cups vanilla low-fat ice cream
Preheat oven to 400°F
- To drain applesauce, spread onto several layers of heavy-duty paper towels. Cover with additional paper towels; let stand 5 minutes. Scrape into a mixing bowl using a rubber spatula. This drains the applesauce.
- Combine cranberries, juice, cider, sweetener, and rind in a small saucepan; bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in applesauce.
- Combine the apple and pears in an 11×17 inch-baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with the cranberry mixture. Cover and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until fruit is tender, basting occasionally with liquid from dish. Serve with ice cream.
Makes: 4 servings
4 (1-inch thick) peeled fresh pineapple slices
2 tablespoons apricot preserves – no sugar added
1 teaspoon artificial sweetener
Dash of ground cinnamon
1 cup vanilla low-fat frozen yogurt
- Place pineapple slices on a broiler pan. Brush pineapple slices with preserves; broil 6 minutes or until bubbly.
- Combine sweetener and cinnamon, and sprinkle over pineapple.
Serve warm with one scoop of vanilla low-fat frozen yogurt.
Makes 1 serving.
Frozen yogurt for breakfast—divine decadence! You could also try this extraordinary breakfast with fresh strawberries and strawberry jelly, fresh raspberries and raspberry jelly!